We had a little dilemma in what to call this chicken vegetable soup, so we’ll leave it up to you to decide what you want to ultimately call it. Decisions, decisions! This chicken soup recipe can be called a number of different ways: a vegetable soup with chicken, garden vegetable soup, country chicken soup, healthy chicken soup, or chicken soup with vegetables to warm the soul. Either way, it’s loaded with fresh vegetables, homemade chicken stock and left over chicken. You can call it what you want because it’s perfectly satisfying on a cold day and fulfilling on days when you need some warm comfort.
It’s also a wonderfully healthy chicken soup that’s studded with broccoli, zucchini, carrots and celery. Made from our fresh homemade chicken stock, we were able to skim off the excess fat in the stock and use healthy boneless chicken breast. A combination of all these ingredients is worthy of being called a healthy chicken soup. What ever you decide to call it, it’s truly satisfying and comforting. And best of all, super easy to make on days when you have lots of leftover vegetables and chicken in the fridge. Better yet, how about calling it the “Everything but the kitchen sink” chicken soup?! Enjoy!
Here’s a Video for How to Make Homemade Chicken Stock
Fresh and Healthy Chicken Soup
Basic Chicken Vegetable Soup
Yield: Serves 4
Total Time: 20 min
Few things warm the soul like chicken vegetable soup. Keep a good chicken stock on hand and this soul satisfying soup is ready quite quickly. Don't limit yourself to the vegetables listed, use whatever vegetables you love in your soup. Corn, turnips, and parsnips are great additions to any chicken vegetable soup. Finally simmering time will vary on your preferred tenderness of the vegetables. It can be as quick as 10 minutes for an "al dente" bite to 30 minutes for a soft tenderness. Larger or smaller vegetable cuts will also affect cooking times.
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic, finely minced or crushed
- 1/2 medium Onion, cut into large dice
- 2 medium (@1/4 lb or 113g) Carrots, peeled & cut into a large dice
- 2 stalks (@1/4 lb or 113g) Celery, cut into 3/8" slices
- 1/2 medium head (1/5 lb or 90g) Broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 medium (@1/4 lb or 113g) Zucchini, cut into large dice
- 1/2 pound (225g) Cooked Chicken, cut into large dice
- 4 cups (950ml) Homemade Chicken Broth
- Sea Salt or Kosher Salt, to taste
- fresh cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until slightly soft, 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining vegetables and cook until the vegetables begin to sweat, 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in broth and increase heat to high. Bring up to a simmer, then lower heat to medium and maintain a gentle simmer.
- Simmer soup until vegetables are almost at your preferred tenderness *see head note.
- Add chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Continue continue cooking for a minute or two more, or until chicken is heated through.