If you’re ever wanting to make friends with new folks, say “I Love You”, say “I’m Sorry”, apologize for screwing up big-time or just to have a happy dinner, these chicken vegetable egg rolls fit each one of those occasions. Because seriously, who doesn’t love a crispy, hot, savory egg roll or crispy spring roll? These Chicken egg rolls are made with ground chicken and not only a perfect appetizer and party food, but when served with a salad or bowl of rice, they serve perfectly as an entree.
Watch the Recipe Video for Chicken Vegetable Egg Rolls
These crispy egg rolls have always been a favorite of our neighborhood kids. They’d always ask us when we’re making a batch of these, in a very polite way, of course. If they did good in school, we’d send over a hot batch of these chicken vegetable egg rolls. And then the parents would always thank us to no end and say how much they love them just as much as the kids. We got the hint and realized that we always need to drop off a double batch. We share more of our neighborhood story over on our White On Rice Couple blog.
Watch the Recipe Video for Hoisin-Peanut Dip
Chicken Vegetable Egg Rolls w/ Peanut Hoisin Dip
Yield: Makes about 16 Rolls
Total Time: 1 hour
The magic ingredient to these egg rolls is the fish sauce, don't be scared! This is a family recipe and we always use fish sauce. Just add it in, no one needs to know. But when they taste it, they'll be super pleased with the flavor. That's all that matters.
This recipe always uses raw chicken filling, then deep fried. So don't roll them too big, nor cook them at too high of a temperature. You don't want them to burn on the outside and still raw on the inside. Again this is a family recipe and why we cook the filling raw is because the wonderful juices and flavors of the chicken remain in the egg roll, leaving a wonderfully flavorful and moist inside roll. But if you prefer to pre-cook your filling prior to rolling, please do so.
Chicken Vegetable Egg Rolls Ingredients
- 1 pound ground chicken ( chicken breast or thigh meat)
- 1 cup Cabbage, shredded thin
- 3 green onions, small chopped
- 1/2 cup Carrot, grated (about 1 medium carrot)
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon Fish sauce ( soy sauce, for the wimps) :)
- freshly grated black pepper
- 1 package of Egg Roll Wrappers or sometimes called "spring roll" wrappers in the freezer section of market.
- oil for frying.
- fresh lettuce leaves (optional)
Hoisin-Peanut Dip Ingredients
- about 1 cup of hoisin ( if it's too thick, water it down to dipping consistency)
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- hot sauce or sriracha to taste (optional)
- Make the chicken egg roll filling. In large bowl, combine chicken, cabbage, green onions, carrot, garlic, raw egg, fish sauce and black pepper. Mix together well, making sure all the chicken combines with the vegetables. Cover and allow to marinade for about 20 minutes.
- Make the hoisin-peanut dip. In large bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk together well. If you are making a very large batch, you can use a blender by blending all the ingredients together. But make sure you add enough water because some brands of hoisin are very thick.
- Using egg roll wrappers or skins, add about 2 Tablespoons of chicken filling to each wrapper. Please watch the video here to learn how to roll even and tight rolls.
- Fill large frying pan with about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil. Heat to about 325 degrees.
- Slowly add egg rolls to frying pan, but do not crowd them because they will stick together if placed too close.
- Fry each side of egg roll for about 3 minutes or until crisp and brown. Flip over and cook other side till brown.
- Blot on paper towel to remove excess oil. Serve warm with hoisin-peanut dip.
- You can also wrap these chicken vegetable egg rolls in lettuce and them eat them as lettuce egg roll wraps!