Managing chicken dinner for our busy weeks is so much easier when we start with a roast chicken. We’ll oven roast a whole chicken and use the leftover chicken breast and thigh meat for mid-week lunch recipes that’s easy, quick, accessible and delicious. Taking a classic chicken salad recipe and adding a douse of curry and cumin spices makes a great curry chicken salad sandwich to get us through the day. If we get tired of chicken sandwiches, we’ll top our favorite crackers with this salad or sometimes dive into it with a bag of crunchy tortilla chips.
This curry chicken salad recipe can be adaptable by adding more spices, so have fun with the amount of flavor. The level of creaminess can also be adjusted with the amount of mayo that you add and for a healthier version, add some non-fat Greek yogurt instead of the mayo.
This makes a great sandwich too! Read post for more recipe notes.
Makes about 3 cups of chicken salad.
- 2 cups leftover cooked chicken , chopped. (use chicken breast or chicken thighs)
- 1/2 cup mayo or sour cream.
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dried fruit , such as apricots or raisins
- 1/2 cup celery , chopped
- 2 green onions , minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro , minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt , or to taste
- fresh ground black pepper , to taste
- Chop leftover cooked chicken to bite sized pieces. Set aside
- In large bowl, combine remainder of ingredients and mix well till spices are incorporated into the mayo or sour cream.
- Add chopped chicken and mix till everything is combined well.
- Add additional salt, pepper or curry powder to taste.
- Chill for about 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve in a sandwich, with crackers or with tortilla chips.