Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein
This healthy spaghetti squash chow mein is low carb and will satisfy all your cravings for Chinese chow mein without all the starch. Perfect for everyday, is super delicious and helps you eat a little lighter and low carb.
Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein Recipe
It’s always great to enjoy a night of take-out and Chinese food like the always popular Chinese chow mein. But sometimes you might want to eat a little lighter, low carb and healthier chow mein. Well here it is and it’s delicious! By replacing the regular starchy chow mein noodles with spaghetti squash, you can enjoy this spaghetti squash chow mein without all the carbs! We’ve made a version of another low carb and healthy chow mein recipe by using Zucchini noodles! Our zucchini noodle chow mein recipe was such a hit that we made a version with spaghetti squash.
Watch our Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein Video:
Bake or Cook in Oven
You can either microwave the spaghetti squash or bake it in the oven, either method works great. If you need a quick and easy spaghetti squash dinner, then microwaving is the quickest method. But if you have a little more time, consider baking the spaghetti squash in the oven because it give a better and more concentrated squash flavor. This spaghetti squash chow mein is also very adaptable to adding chicken, shrimp or any other veggies that you want. With so many options to make this spaghetti squash recipe great, you can rest assured that you can eat chow mein a little lighter and not feel so guilty. In fact, there’s hardly any carbs in the recipe so you can maybe eat a little more! Click Here for more of our –> Awesome Spaghetti Squash Recipes
Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein
- 1 Spaghetti Squash (@3lbs or 1365g)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce or low sodium soy sauce (use Tamari for gluten free)
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) rice vinegar (or distilled white vinegar)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) oyster sauce or (hoisin for vegetarian)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil , grape seed oil or any cooking oil
- 1 small onion , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 red bell pepper , thin sliced
- 1 cup (100 g) sliced snow peas or sugar snap peas
- 1 large carrot , julienned
- kosher salt or sea salt, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped cilantro (optional)
- chili garlic sauce , sriracha or hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 375°F. Oil a sheet pan with olive oil.
- Carefully cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and connecting strands, then place cut side down on the prepared sheet pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the squash flesh becomes tender and separates easily into strands with a fork. Finish by gently loosening and removing the “spaghetti strands” from the shells. Set aside.
- Make the sauce: In medium bowl combine soy sauce, vinegar, and oyster sauce (or hoisin for vegetarian). Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add onions and garlic, cook until soft.Add red bell pepper, snow peas and carrots. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the spaghetti squash strands and the sauce. Stir everything in the pan until the squash is coated with the sauce. Cook for about another minute until the spaghettis squash is heated through. Don't over cook the squash or it'll be super mushy.Add additional salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with cilantro, serve with hot sauce.
If you love Spaghetti Squash, you’ll probably love Spiralizing. Check out some Favorites for Spiralizing:
Nothing beats tried and true kitchen tools and cookbooks. Here’s some of the favorites:
Paderno Spiralizer – The Classic! We’ve lost track of how many meals this one has made for us. Fantastic spiralizer.
KitchenAid Spiralizer Attachment – Spiralize, peel, core, slice. All from the power of the KitchenAid stand mixer.
OXO Julienne Peeler – For those who love it simple. This great julienne peeler has seen a lot of mileage in our kitchen
Other Delicious Chow Mein and Spaghetti Squash Recipes
- Click Here for our –> Zucchini Noodle Chow Mein Recipe
- Click Here for our–> Spaghetti Squash with Sausage and Parmesan
- Click Here for our —> Spaghetti Squash Enchilada Boats Recipe
- Click Here for more of our –> Awesome Spaghetti Squash Recipes
If you love this recipe here’s more for you to enjoy!
This recipe was originally published in 2017 and re-published in 2020 with updated video.