This healthy spaghetti squash chow mein is low carb and will satisfy all your cravings for Chinese chow mein without all the starch.
Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein Recipe
It’s always great to enjoy a night of take-out and Chinese food like the always popular Chinese chow mein. But sometimes you might want to eat a little lighter, low carb and healthier chow mein. Well here it is and it’s delicious! By replacing the regular starchy chow mein noodles with spaghetti squash, you can enjoy this spaghetti squash chow mein without all the carbs! We’ve made a version of another low carb and healthy chow mein recipe by using Zucchini noodles! Our zucchini noodle chow mein recipe was such a hit that we made a version with spaghetti squash.
Watch our Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein Video:
Bake or Cook in Oven
You can either microwave the spaghetti squash or bake it in the oven, either method works great. If you need a quick and easy spaghetti squash dinner, then microwaving is the quickest method. But if you have a little more time, consider baking the spaghetti squash in the oven because it give a better and more concentrated squash flavor. This spaghetti squash chow mein is also very adaptable to adding chicken, shrimp or any other veggies that you want. With so many options to make this spaghetti squash recipe great, you can rest assured that you can eat chow mein a little lighter and not feel so guilty. In fact, there’s hardly any carbs in the recipe so you can maybe eat a little more! Click Here for more of our –> Awesome Spaghetti Squash Recipes
Click Here for our –> Zucchini Noodle Chow Mein Recipe
Click Here for our–> Spaghetti Squash with Sausage and Parmesan
Click Here for our —> Spaghetti Squash Enchilada Boats Recipe
Click Here for more of our –> Awesome Spaghetti Squash Recipes
If you love Spaghetti Squash, you’ll probably love Spiralizing. Check out some Favorites for Spiralizing:
Nothing beats tried and true kitchen tools and products, plus a little bonus of some of our favorite spiralizing cookbooks. Here’s some of the favorites:
Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein
- 1 Spaghetti Squash (@3lbs or 1365g)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce or low sodium soy sauce (use Tamari for gluten free)
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) rice vinegar (or distilled white vinegar)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) oyster sauce or (hoisin for vegetarian)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil , grape seed oil or any cooking oil
- 1 small onion , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 red bell pepper , thin sliced
- 1 cup (100 g) sliced snow peas or sugar snap peas
- 1 large carrot , julienned
- kosher salt or sea salt, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped cilantro (optional)
- chili garlic sauce , sriracha or hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 375°F. Oil a sheet pan with olive oil.
- Carefully cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and connecting strands, then place cut side down on the prepared sheet pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the squash flesh becomes tender and separates easily into strands with a fork. Finish by gently loosening and removing the "spaghetti strands" from the shells. Set aside.
- Make the sauce: In medium bowl combine soy sauce, vinegar, and oyster sauce (or hoisin for vegetarian). Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add onions and garlic, cook until soft.Add red bell pepper, snow peas and carrots. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the spaghetti squash strands and the sauce. Stir everything in the pan until the squash is coated with the sauce. Cook for about another minute until the spaghettis squash is heated through. Don't over cook the squash or it'll be super mushy.Add additional salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with cilantro, serve with hot sauce.
If you love this recipe here’s more for you to enjoy!