Pepperoni Pizza Egg rolls
Pepperoni Pizza Egg Rolls Recipe
After eating a batch of pepperoni pizza egg rolls at our local County Fair, we were hooked! WOW, they were so cheesy, sauce and delicious. The deep fried egg rolls wrappers give a perfect crunch and these pizza rolls are absolutely addicting. We headed to the test kitchen to create a recipe to share with you all. These are like pepperoni pizza rolls you could buy frozen in the stores that are small and square shaped. But these rolls are in the “egg roll” shaped and they don’t have any egg in them. The term is just to identify the shape and better yet, each bite tastes even better because the egg rolls wrappers are thin and crispy. Making them homemade is way than buying the frozen pizza rolls because homemade has much better tasting sauce and more cheese. Everything about homemade pizza rolls is delicious and you’ll have these on your regular rotation for the perfect appetizer recipe. And best of all, it’s the easy fair food to make at home and enjoy year round!
Video: Recipe for Pizza Egg Rolls
How to Make Pizza Egg Rolls Recipe
The possibilities are endless for this filling. Just like all the options for pizza toppings, you can use those for the pizza egg roll filling. We use the classic pepperoni, sauce, mozzarella cheese trio. It’s popular and super delicious. To add more variety to the filling we added chopped bell peppers. But you can use different things like chopped mushrooms, sausage or what ever you like. The fun part about these appetizers is eating them. They truly are fantastic and you will find yourself making this all the time and in different ways! All recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Pepperoni Pizza Egg Rolls
- 4 oz. (113 g) pepperoni slices , chopped
- 1 cup (112 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) pizza or marinara sauce (plus extra for dipping if desired)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried Italian seasonings (or any combination of dried basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, etc.)
- 1/2 cup (75 g) chopped sweet bell peppers
- 15 (15 ) egg roll wrappers
- water , for sealing the wrappers
- vegetable oil , for frying
- 1/2-1 cup (120-240 ml) optional dipping sauce of choice (marinara, ranch, bbq sauce, etc.)
- Add pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, sauce, Italian seasonings and sweet pepper in bowl. Mix well.
- Rolling: Using egg roll wrappers or spring roll wrappers, add about 2 Tablespoons of the filling to each wrapper. Tuck and roll the wrapper around the filling (watch the video in the post above to see how to roll even and tight rolls). Brush the top corner of the wrapper with water to help seal the wrapper end, and then finish rolling the egg roll. Repeat for all the egg rolls.
- Frying: Fill large frying pan with about 1/2-inch of vegetable oil and heat oil to about 350°F/175°C. Carefully add egg rolls to frying pan, without crowding the egg rolls in the pan (they will stick together if placed too close. Fry the egg rolls in batches if needed). Fry each side of the egg rolls for about 2-3 minutes or until crisp and golden brown (try to keep the oil temperature at about 350°F/175°C). Remove and blot on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Allow to cool a little (the filling will be super hot right after frying), and then serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
More of our –> Egg Roll & Spring Roll Recipes Here
Here’s lots of different pizza topping ideas for you to experiment with.