Yes, you saw it here first. The internets very first BLT hand salad! This crazy hand salad food trend first shared by Bon Appetite Magazine isn’t so crazy at all. Ours is much different because it’s not just salad leaves dipped in dressing. But we understand where the possibilities were and created our own version of a hand salad that truly is a fully composed salad! It isn’t just lettuce and a dip, it’s got all the elements that make a BLT salad great and it truly can be eaten without a fork, with your bare hands. It’s essentially an appetizer that holds together well and you can eat it with your hands as the perfect BLT salad appetizer.
Video of our delicious Forkless BLT Salad Recipe aka “hand salad”
Take all the same popular ingredients you would add to your BLT Salad: bacon, tomato, red onion and awesome dressing. We created a bar with it and all you need to do is to stuff underneath and between the leaves with bacon and tomato. Top it off with some minced red onion and choose your favorite dressing and voila! You have a perfect platter of hand salad appetizers. This truly is super delicious and a great forkless salad appetizer because firm romaine lettuce holds together extremely well. The fun part is to let your guests choose their own dressing and all they need to do is to drizzle their favorite dressing on top and they have a spear of crisp lettuce as a great appetizer.
Forkless BLT Salad Appetizers - A “Hand Salad”
Yield: Serves 4
Total Time: 20 minutes
Use firm and crisp romaine lettuce with the base still instact. This lettuce will hold up to the cutting and the leaves will stay together for a perfect “grab and go” salad appetizer.
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce, kept intact
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced thin
- Salad dressings (of choice i.e.-blue cheese, vinaigrette, french, thousand island)
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- optional, diced red onion
- Wash romaine and shake of excess water. Slice the whole head of romaine, lengthwise into 4 pieces, making sure to keep the base intact. This will hold each piece together. Discard any excess or floppy leaves.
- Cut the bacon into approximately 1-inch sized pieces. Wedge the bacon pieces between the romaine leaves. Wedge the tomato slices between the romaine leaves.
- Dress the stuffed romaine leaves with the dressings of your choice. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle red onion on top if desired and serve chilled.