Here’s a green tomatillo salsa recipe that you can add to your favorite Mexican dishes, tacos, burritos, nachos or anything that could use a spoonful of fresh and tasty salsa. This fresh and easy tomatillo salsa recipe is super delicious with tortilla chips or topped on your favorite Mexican recipes. All you need are some fresh tomatillos and few other ingredients like chiles, cilantro, garlic and lime juice. Within a few minutes, you’ll have a recipe for salsa that you can eat every day. In fact, have a jar in your fridge for anytime you want a spicy, tangy topping of flavor.
Making Tomatillo Salsa is so easy. Watch the video and see how:
Tomatillo salsa is a little tangier than regular tomato salsa, but the flavors are equally outstanding. They’re perfect on eggs for breakfast or brunch and even great on top of some grilled seafood. Some perfectly cooked filets of fish with some fresh salsa is a quick and healthy way to eat that’s loaded with flavor and low on the fat and calories.
This tomatillo salsa can be adjusted for spicy taste. Add as much or as little jalapeño that your taste buds can handle. Enjoy!
This post was originally published in 2015 and republished in 2017 with an updated video.
Easy Tomatillo Salsa Recipe
Yield: about 1 1/2 cups
Total Time: 20 min
Japalenos and chili peppers vary in spice flavor, so taste a bit of the chiles first before you decide how spicy you want your salsa. You can also remove the seeds from the chili peppers to reduce the spiciness.
- 1 pound (455g) tomatillo, washed and husked
- 1-2 red or green jalapeño, to taste (or any chili pepper)
- 1 medium onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon (3ml) kosher or sea salt, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) sugar
- about 1 cup (240ml) loose packed cilantro
- Heat a medium cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Add the tomatillos, jalapeño, onion and garlic. Char the ingredients until they become soft and crispy dark on the outside skins. After charring, allow ingredients to cool.
- Add all the ingredients (tomatillos, jalapeño, onion, garlic, lime juice, salt, sugar and cilantro) in a blender.
- Blend salsa until chunky. If you like your salsa more blended and smooth, pulse the ingredients for another 30 seconds.
- Pour salsa into a bowl and serve with your favorite tortilla chips or top on tacos, nachos or enchiladas.