Here’s a green salsa recipe that you can add to your favorite Mexican dishes. This fresh and easy tomatillo salsa recipe is super delicious with tortilla chips or topped on your favorite Mexican recipes. All you need are some fresh tomatillos and few other ingredients. Within a few minutes, you’ll have a recipe for salsa that you can eat every day. In fact, have a jar in your fridge for anytime you want a spicy, tangy topping of flavor.
This tomatillo salsa can be adjusted for spicy taste. Add as much or as little jalapeño that your taste buds can handle. Enjoy!
Easy Tomatillo Salsa Recipe
Yield: about 1 1/2 cups
Total Time: 20 min
Japalenos and chili peppers vary in spice flavor, so taste a bit of the chiles first before you decide how spicy you want your salsa. You can also remove the seeds from the chili peppers to reduce the spiciness.
- 1 pound tomatillo, washed and husked
- 1-2 red or green jalapeño, to taste (or any chili pepper)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- about 1 cup loose packed cilantro
- Heat a medium cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Add the tomatillos, jalapeño, onion and garlic. Char the ingredients till they become soft and crispy dark on the outside skins. After charring, allow ingredients to cool.
- Add the tomatillos, jalapeño, onion, garlic, lime juice, salt, sugar and cilantro in a blender.
- Blend salsa until chunky. If you like your salsa more blended and smooth, pulse the ingredients for another 30 seconds.
- Pour salsa into a bowl and serve with your favorite tortilla chips or top on tacos, nachos or enchiladas.