Breakfast casseroles are so great because they can feed a crowd and you can add so many different ingredients to make it delicious and hearty. Best of all, you can prep and prepare everything the day ahead and all you need to do is to cook it in the oven and you have a wonderful and satisfying baked breakfast casserole. Or you can have all the ingredients mixed together and poured into the baking dish, ready-to-go into the oven the next morning.
Our hash brown breakfast casserole recipe is filled with lots of delicious ingredients: hash browns, sausage, bacon, veggies and cheese. You can add what ever you like and this recipe for our easy breakfast casserole can be made vegetarian. Just remove the meat and add extra vegetables of choice. Why we love this hearty breakfast so much is because it’s a delicious way to feed a crowd and everyone loves all the breakfast flavors that you normally crave in the morning all in one bite.
Here’s a quick video making the Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole:
More great recipes you will enjoy: Vegetable Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Easy Recipes
Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole with Bacon and Sausage
Yield: Serves 4-6
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
You can prep this the day ahead. All you need to do is to give it a good stir again in the morning before you put it in the oven.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 1 cup (240ml) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 12 ounces (340g or about 3 cups) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 pound ground sausage, removed from casings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (20 oz - 567g) package hash browns
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- (optional toppings) chopped green onions or chopped parsley
- Heat oven 375 degrees F. Grease 9"x13" baking dish and set aside.
- In large bowl beat the eggs, milk, sour cream, salt, and pepper together. Add 2.5 cups of the cheese and stir until everything is combined (remaining 1/2 cup of cheese is for topping). Set aside. You will be adding the rest of the potato/sausage ingredients into this large bowl.
- Heat pan on medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp, then remove bacon pieces from pan and set aside. You can drain the drippings or keep them in the pan for more flavor.
- In same heated pan on medium-high heat, add onions and garlic, cook until soft. Add sausage and cook until browned and cooked. Break apart sausage into small chunks as you cook it.
- After sausage is browned, add the hash browns and red bell peppers. Cook mixture for about 5 minutes or until the potatoes are slightly brown. Remove from heat. Allow to cool.
- Add the sausage/potato mixture to the egg mixture bowl and mix together. Pour mixture into baking dish. Top with bacon pieces and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for about another 25 minutes or until casserole is cooked through and cheese is melted. If the casserole is not cooked through all the way, give it a gentle stir and bake un-covered for another 10 minutes.
- Add optional green onion or minced parsley topping.