Sometimes you just want to have a great fried chicken sandwich at home so you can customize it the way you want. This is the best fried chicken sandwich recipe that will have you always wanting to make it homemade because it’s incredibly easy. Our fried chicken is soaked in buttermilk which gives it such a tender, moist texture. The best part is the seasoning recipe that’s got great flavor with tons of spices. It’s not bland and seriously, who wants to have a bland fried chicken? You want it juicy, flavorful with great texture and crunch. Our recipe and technique will take you there! Because you’re frying, it’s going to be a little more prep and set-up so you might want to invite a bunch of friends over to share your amazing homemade batch of fried chicken sandwiches.
Look at how amazing this crust is on the fried chicken! When fried, this chunky flour texture is what gives a great crunch! It’s the best Buttermilk Fried Chicken sandwich EVER!
The outside texture of the fried chicken is super crispy and it’s so much easier than everyone thinks. The little bit of buttermilk in the dry mixture will give the flaky bits that fry up to the wonderful texture. Our video and photos will show you what the texture of the mixture should look like before frying. Just take a look to get it to match and when you fry it, you’ll see why the fried chicken has such a crazy good texture. And of course, the bacon and cheddar on top is what gives it over-the-top amazing with fabulous flavor and texture.
Check out a Few of our Favorite Frying Tools:
Some tools make frying all the more enjoyable. Here’s some of the favorites:
Portable Butane Burner – No need to fry in the house. Take this little bad boy outside and fry it the great outside.
Bamboo Handled Strainer – The handle doesn’t get too hot and it strains like a dream.
Watch our Fried Buttermilk Chicken Sandwich Marvelousness:
Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich with Bacon and Cheddar
Yield: Makes 4-6 Sandwiches
Total Time: 45 minutes
Depending on the size of the chicken breasts, this recipe can make anywhere from 4-6 sandwiches. The outside texture of the fried chicken is super crispy and flaky. The little bit of buttermilk in the dry mixture will give the flaky bits that fry up to the wonderful texture. Watch our video and photos so you can see what the texture of the mixture should look like before frying.
- about 2 pounds (910g) chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 3/4 cup (180ml) buttermilk, for soaking
- 1 cup (240ml or 125g) flour
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) paprika
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (3ml) dried thyme leaves or oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon (3ml)garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) buttermilk, for the batter
- Oil for frying
- 4-6 slices cheddar cheese
- 8-12 slices bacon, cooked
- 4-6 Burger buns
- Preferred Toppings (lettuce, tomato, pickles, mustard, mayo, etc…)
- Rinse and pat and dry chicken breasts. Soak chicken breasts in buttermilk for about 30 minutes in fridge.
- While chicken is soaking, combine flour, paprika, salt, pepper, thyme or oregano, garlic powder, and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add the 2 tablespoons of buttermilk and mix together, breaking up the big clumps. The flour mixture will clumpy but should still be dry-ish. The clumps will create a great texture during frying.
- Heat skillet with about 1/2 inch high of frying oil. Heat oil to 375°F.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk soak and dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, making sure to coat the chicken completely. Shake off excess flour and fry the chicken until golden.
- Drain the fried chicken on paper towels and just after it is removed from the oil and still hot, add a slice of cheese on top.
- Assemble the sandwich: add tomato, mayo, mustard, lettuce or what ever you want on your sandwich. Don’t forget to add the bacon slices!